Super Match 2013
FC Barcelona vs. Lechia Gdańsk
Our idea was to organize a friendly games between one of the best European teams – such as FC Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester United – and one of Polish sides on a regular basis. Our first original and commercial sporting event has brought a lot of attention from customers, sponsors and media partners.
The first Super Match – Barcelona vs. Lechia – took place on July 30, 2013. The attendance at PGE Arena in Gdańsk was around 34 000. The game was broadcast on TVP channels (TVP1, TVP Sport) and attracted over 4,3 million viewers. It was July’s most watched television broadcast in Poland. The live broadcast reached over 100 countries and the game was seen by over 40 million football fans around the world.
Nationwide and international communication relating to the Super Match was led between June, 1 and August, 5. Internally, we concentrated our efforts on media partners:
- TVP (TVP1, TVP Sport, TVP Info, sport.tvp.pl),
- Agora (Gazeta Wyborcza, sport.pl, gazeta.pl, Logo magazine),
- Eurozet (Radio Zet, Antyradio, Radio Plus, Chili Zet).
PR campaign & Media Relations
Our goal was to promote an event, important both nationally and internationally, using different angles: sport, business, tourism and lifestyle. The result was over 10 500 publications about the Super Match – approximately 9000 in Polish media and over 1200 abroad.
Advertising Value Equivalency (AVE) in Poland reached 30 000 000 PLN and the number of potential recipients of information concerning the event was estimated at over 104 719 000 (according to Institute of Media Monitoring).
Despite the fact that FC Barcelona changed the initial date of the game and there were subsequent mixed reactions after a new date was established the overall assessment of our project was very satisfactory. In general, the media praised the idea of Super Match, emphasizing its high sporting and organizational levels.
Super Match 2013 – promotion and marketing in numbers
- 40 000 000 – worldwide TV viewers (live broadcast)
- 30 000 000 PLN – Advertising Value Equivalency
- 4 515 000 – viewers at TVP1 when Neymar, new Barcelona star, came on as the substitute
- 300 000 PLN – promotional budget
- 274 000 – average viewers of the game broadcasted on TVP Sport
- 33 853 – attendance at PGE Arena in Gdańsk
- 11 500 – press publications
- 550 – television news stories covering the game worldwide
- 300 – Polish journalists and photographers accredited for the event
- 180 – countries where news stories about the game were delivered
- 40 – European media representatives accredited for the event, mainly from Spain and Brazil